Tuesday, January 31, 2012

To bleed, or not to bleed.

Nothing terribly exciting or weird happened today, and that is ok by me! Well, that being said, as soon as I walked into the school office, one of the secretaries informed me that my older son, Anthony, had gotten his head scraped up while playing football during the first recess. It had bled pretty badly and he was quite upset. As the kids from his class were entering the playground, they immediately came up to me and told me Anthony got hurt, that it bled a lot and how "bad" it was. When I saw him during lunch recess he seemed to be ok, except for a band aid on his forehead. When I asked him what happened, the emotions started welling up in his face. There was very little blood on the bandage but, hey, I'm sure it was much worse when it happened..."MUCH" worse! Two of his friends were walking with him and proceeded to tell me all the "awful" details. How Anthony was under a dog-pile of kids and his friend, Chris, tried to help save him, but as he was trying to pull my son out, Chris got clobbered by another kid. Oh, the tragedy of it all!! It sounded like mayhem! (In other words, the usual craziness of 8-9 year old boys.) I spoke to the alleged criminals and they were all apologetic and said they weren't trying to hurt anyone. Uh huh.
Well, Anthony's injury is just fine. I took off the bandage and there was only a small bump with a scrape on top. No more blood and no more bandage. But you'd think he cracked his head open by the response to my taking the bandage off! Oh, the drama.
Aren't most of us a little like that, though? We crave attention when we feel hurt. Or, we want to be left alone with our wound festering under an old bandage, not wanting to deal with the pain of getting a new one? Deep, I know.
Even after all these years, I'm still getting educated in elementary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment