Wednesday, February 29, 2012

These Westland kids are hearty little boogers!!

The last few days have been quite cold, say around freezing (30's). We have also had some snow, wind and gloomy weather.

You'd think everyone would be bundled up trying to stay warm. Nope, not at Westland Elementary! More than half the students still come outside without a coat. Even after teachers tell them to put one on! The usual answer I get when I ask why they have no coat is "Well, I'm running around and I get hot!" Ya, ok. I understand, but is your internal temperature set to "summer weather"?

Today I counted at least seven kids who wore shorts. Shorts?!! Do parents not see their kids before they go to school? In the winter?!

Well, I think it's starting to catch up with some students. Today alone, we had over ten kids go home with some sort of illness! There were several more that just didn't come in due to an ailment. It is the cold and flu season, so let's take some precautions, please!

Ok, that being said, the kids were having a ball outside. Even during a snow storm, the kids were playing soccer, football, basketball, baseball, jump rope, etc. The cold weather and snow did not deter them at all. AND, even in the snow, some of the kids had shorts on and took off coats! Again, I asked them to put coats back on, but after they told me to feel their foreheads, which were indeed sweaty, I let it go.

I must admit, I really enjoyed watching just about everyone catching snowflakes on their tongues. No matter what age, it seems everyone appreciates this little joy in life.

Yup, these kids are tough. And they have to be. The schools here don't shut down when weather is "bad." Even growing up in this town, I only remember a few days when the snow was about three feet deep and the school closed for one day so the plows could clear the roads. So, kids who live here learn that you play outside no matter what the weather.

When kids move here from warmer climates like California or Arizona, they usually have a rude awakening when winter comes. My sister, who lives in the Northwest, often calls me to let me know that they've closed the schools due to a half inch of snow. Now, granted, they don't have nearly enough snowplows and many people are afraid to drive when snow hits the road, but come on!!!

Oh well. That's what you get when you live near a big lake and mountains. Hearty kids make for hearty people, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment